Late last year I came upon a dolly head that I had made sometime earlier for a poppet doll. It was a little too big for a poppet and too small for any of my other dolls so it had been abandoned. It was a cute little head though so I thought I could do something with it. It was around the time of the big reshuffle of the playroom and sunroom and a little doll was on my worktable waiting to find a special place to sit. It was a baby doll my mum had bought me at a local doll fair. You know the sort, plastic head, legs and arms and a soft cloth trunk. Mum bought him because of his gorgeous little knitted outfit. Anyway he was lying there and I thought his head was around the same size as my orphan doll head. I wondered if I could make a doll that would fit the baby dolls clothes.
So using the baby doll as a kind of a template to get the right proportions I drew my doll body and then fiddled and faddled to turn it into a pattern suitable for the orphan doll head. I excitedly stitched it up and got the doll together super fast and was so pleased with the result. Such a cutie.The legs were a little short and stubby so I changed that on the second go.
I was so very pleased with bubbie doll MKII. I knitted her a gorgeous outfit of clothes using my patterns I designed for my poppet dolls ( Oh except her boots, they are a Winterludes pattern but I use my usual bootie pattern now just scaled down) and she ended up looking so cute , Miss Edwina Florence Grace.
So that's how the little jenny wren bubbie was born.
Very cute, very sweet and I am just about to make another one or two now.
You can see more bubbie dolls here